Dedicated Server - Can't run on same steam account?

Moderator: Moderators

chcoha
Beginner
Beginner

Dedicated Server - Can't run on same steam account?

Post by chcoha »

Just bought the game, can't wait to play. I have a separate computer that I use for dedicated servers. It has steam client installed, same steam account as my main computer. I downloaded, installed, configured and ran the Night of the Dead dedicated server with no issues. However, on my main gaming computer, when I tried to run the game it popped up the message, "You are logged in on another computer already playing "Night of the Dead Dedicated Server". Launching "Night of the Dead" here will disconnect the other session from steam."

The whole point of having a dedicated server "Tool" on Steam is to do exactly this. Am I missing something or is this a bug that needs to be fixed?
chcoha
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Dedicated Server - Can't run on same steam account?

Post by chcoha »

Not a bug. I figured it out. Can't run the dedicated server from steam client. You have to follow the instructions at https://www.nightofthedead.org/dedicated-servers/ this lets you download and install the dedicated server tool while logged into steam anonymously using SteamCMD. Then you can run the bat from within windows as normal. I had no issues after this. Hopefully this helps someone.
Dean Dunker
Survivor
Survivor

Re: Dedicated Server - Can't run on same steam account?

Post by Dean Dunker »

I was not affected myself but I want to thank you for coming back and pointing out the solution! Most people never visit their own threads again after they figured out how to solve something or just simply reply with "I fixed it" or something like that. Found many of these threads by googling and always have been disappointed.

Thank you for net letting down others :cheers: